Friday, January 11, 2008

My Hips Don't Lie... Or, At Least They Won't In Another 7 Weeks

I am happy to report that Mia and I survived our first night of bellydancing! I don't have a lot to update, but I will leave you with these little bits:

First, we are going to get to use veils at some point. So Mia and I are basically going to be sexy little vamps behind our secretive little veils. Yikes!

Secondly, if we go for the 2nd and 3rd 7 week sessions, we can be in an actual performance in June. Holy crap! Hollywood, here we come!

Last night our instructor attempted to teach us the Belly Dance stance (or posture, or some such other word that I can't remember right now), which she says will make our hip movements more prominent. I went home and showed D. He agrees. He agrees a lot. He agrees quite heartily. But enough about that. Our instructor also attempted to teach us how to pinch our finger and thumb together so that our fingers look like little snake mouths. She says this is sexy, but so far I just look like I'm trying to make shadow puppets of wolves with Tourette's. Add a little swearing and wha-la! there you have it. I suppose there is always room for practice.

Ok, so I'm sure most of you know that belly dancing involves rolling the belly. According to our instructor, this is just a series of isolated tummy movements that you put together to make the tummy roll. She explained it and demonstrated each of the movements and put them together and it appears that she knows what she's talking about. However, no one prepared me for how incredibly creepy this is. She seriously looks like her stomach has been inhabited by some alien creature which is just hopping around inside of her, jumping from organ to organ. It's very creepy. It's I-don't-know-if-I-can-bring-myself-to-do-it creepy. But I will continue to press on for the time being. Besides, I can barely do all the movements by themselves, let alone put them together and imitate alien invasion. Maybe by June I'll catch on...

No comments: