Thursday, March 20, 2008

AIDS Walk 2008

It’s that time of year again…. time for the annual AIDS Walk. The AIDS Walk will take place on May 3rd and is a 5K walk that will take us out of Headwater’s Park, through Downtown Fort Wayne, and back to Headwater’s Park again. I will be participating in the walk again this year with my dog Dingo. Dingo immensely enjoyed the walk last year, and I think other people immensely enjoyed Dingo last year. I will be working on a very cute AIDS Walk outfit for her in the coming weeks, so stay tuned!

All proceeds from the AIDS Walk will benefit the AIDS Task Force, Inc. of Northeast Indiana. Funds will be used to educate people in Northeast Indiana, prevent the transmission of HIV/AIDS, and serve those living with HIV/AIDS in our community. Participating in this walk is one expression of my commitment to love the people in my community who are hurting and need some love and support. It isn’t nearly enough, but it is one tangible thing I can do that might make life a little more bearable for someone else.

AIDS does not discriminate – no race or color or sexual orientation or gender or religious background is immune. Click here to see face of HIV/AIDS. This exhibit shows the diversity of the disease – and tells beautiful stories of hope and redemption as people cope with their diagnoses. Last year this exhibit was present at the AIDS Walk. I hope it is also present this year, and that all of you have a chance to see it. If you care about people and if you value the art of storytelling you simply cannot miss this.

Please consider supporting Dingo and I as we try to love the people in our community a little bit better. We would be excited to have others walk alongside us. We could also use some encouragement and cheering on! And, of course, we’d be thrilled if you’d contribute to our campaign with a monetary pledge. Anything you can do will be greatly appreciated. Contact me if you’d like to walk with us, or just head straight to the AIDS Task Force web page to sign up by clicking here. To give your pledge, simply click on the firstgiving button on the right hand side of the page. I will also be taking pledges in person until May 2nd. To encourage giving, this year I have committed to matching the highest pledge up to $500.

Last year Dingo and I raised over $900 for the AIDS Walk. This year we’re hoping to beat that. Please consider helping us out. Even if you can only give a very small amount, every gift counts. Every gift goes to improve the quality of life for people in our community that we interact with every day.

Thanks for listening to my PSA. I know my blogs aren’t usually so direct or so serious, but this is a cause that really means a lot to me. I promise I’ll be back soon with a tale of Dingo the WonderMutt!

No comments: