Wednesday, November 7, 2007

iPod Reflections

So I was listening to my iPod (which my husband so graciously purchased for me last Christmas, and which I am finally figuring out how to use) yesterday and I just so happened to come across that old song by The Wallflowers, One Headlight.

Don't you just love The Wallflowers? I do. So much good stuff I can hardly stand it. Also, someone told me the singer is Bob Dylan's son. Does anyone know if that's true? I can almost hear something that sounds like it might be related to Bob Dylan every now and again in that song... who knows?

Anyhow, I was listening to this song, and there has always been one particular part of the song that stands out to me. It is this:

"This place is old
It feels just like a beat up truck
I turn the engine, but the engine doesn't turn
It smells like cheap wine and cigarettes
This place is always such a mess
Sometimes I think I'd like to watch it burn."


I have always loved that part of the song. Random, I know. But here's the thing... want to know why I have always loved that part of the song?

It always feels like it describes some familiar place inside of me - that the guy who may or may not be Bob Dylan's son is singing about some place deep in me.

That's as close as I can get to describing it, and I can't even tell you why it feels this way. It just feels familiar. It feels like coming home. It feels like a part of me. Its like that tired place I retreat to when I can't take anymore. And I treasure that. I really do. I love this song for that - for making me see and love the tired, messy part of me where I go to hibernate.

Weird, huh?

1 comment:

Megs said...

Yes Jakob Dylan is Bob's son!!! Dude, he looks just like him!